Saturday, August 11, 2007

Myspace and msplinks

The other day I was on my myspace and as I was hovering over a link I just added I saw this.




What in the world is msplinks?

Well I did some research and found that it is a technique used by myspace to stop spammers.

When they find a spammer or phisher, they put a stop on the address at msplinks, and since all the links on myspace go through msplinks, anybody that clicks on that link will be redirected.

This sounds like a good thing right?

News Corp is a "Global vertically integrated media company", and is also the current owner of myspace.

To me this sounds like a perfect opportunity to get stats on the most popular websites, which might be beneficial to a news company.

Plus, I think I should be able to decide what websites I view.

Thats why I wrote this firefox plugin.

This plugin will convert all msplinks back into the original link.

Download

Please install and spread the word.

OctalMage

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great isea... but before I spread the word, you need to post a link that works... seems to be dead :-)

Anonymous said...

i meant "idea" dhop!

OctalMage said...

the link works, but my server is being slow. :(

Moni said...

It's still a dead link! ;o)

OctalMage said...

Ok, fixed. Sorry about that.

You will need to download the plugin then drag it to an open firefox window.

Thanks!